Lead Instructional Designer, May 2020 – Present
- Collaborated with multiple subject matter experts to develop a course for improving teacher’s abilities in remote instruction.
- Collaborated with subject matter experts to script and record multiple instructional videos.
- Managed the design team while creating visuals to support written content, structure the course, and set up a studio for filming videos.
- Directed and edited the instructional videos for the course.
- Integrated content into Rise 360 and delivered course as a SCORM compliant package.
Science Department Chair, August 2017 – Present
- Managed a budget and processed supply orders for a department with 13 teachers.
- Mentored four new teachers in classroom management and lesson planning techniques.
- Used data to schedule yearly course offerings and teacher schedules.
- Provided district-wide professional development to teachers on curriculum updates, technology, and presentation skills.
- Organized and ran monthly department meetings.
Project Lead The Way Biomedical Sciences Lead Teacher, August 2017 – Present
- Created and maintained a WordPress website and social media channels for the Biomedical Sciences Program.
- Built a custom LMS to allow for a self-paced, mastery-style learning environment.
- Shot, edited, and produced over 100 videos for Biomedical Sciences Program.
- Taught after-school enrichment workshops on various technology topics to students.
- Organized annual capstone, orientation, and outreach events.
School Improvement Team Facilitator, August 2014 – June 2017
- Chairperson for Communication and Rebranding Committee.
- Conceived, designed, and sourced various high-impact print projects to improve school functionality and culture.
- Created and maintained website and social media channels for Bel Air High School.
- Created video guides to various technology services in my school district.
- Automated the submission of morning announcements and made the system more accessible to teachers and staff.
- Organized and ran monthly team meetings.
Owner, Studio 57 Multimedia Productions, January 2013 – December 2018
- Produced wedding videos and corporate WordPress websites, among other projects.
Other Relevant Experience
Content Creator, TheMikeBurke.com 2015 – Present
Science National Honor Society Advisor, Bel Air High School 2017- Present
- Helped student leadership organize monthly meetings, fundraisers, and guest speaker events.
- Helped student committees organize biannual interstate field trips.
Safety and Security/Critical Incident Planner, Bel Air High School 2018 – Present
- Created evacuation plan for school with custom evacuation maps for each room in the building.
- Provided training to staff on evacuation plan.
- Evaluated and rebalanced evacuation plan based on test evaluation data.
Grading Reform Committee Member, Harford County Public Schools 2018
- Participated on district-wide grading reform committee.
- Developed training for school staff on implementing new grading policy.
Conference Presenter, Project Lead The Way National Summit 2016 + 2017
- Selected to present on five different topics at the national conferences for PLTW
Congressional Reception Presenter, Capitol Hill, Washington D.C. 2015 + 2016
- Selected to present at PLTW/ACTE: I am CTE: STEM-Savvy and Career-Ready.
- Selected to present at PLTW/ACTE: Today’s Innovation; Tomorrow’s Career Success.
Conference Presenter, MSDE Counselor Conference (Multiple Years)
- Chosen by BAHS to present at state conference on STEM Education and Career-Based Learning
Head Track and Field Coach, Bel Air High School 2010 – 2015
- Supervised more than 100 athletes and 8 coaches daily to provide meaningful training and coaching.
- Organized home track meets, officiated championship meets, and managed athlete participation.
Assistant Football Coach, Bel Air High School 2010 – 2018
- Designed and published a custom, full-size, full-color, 16-page game program for every home game since the 2010 season.
I love learning new skills and solving problems! If I had to identify one skill that would qualify as a superpower, it would be my ability to teach myself new skills/technology. I can usually take my skill level from zero to better than 90% of the world easily.
Below is a sample of the skills that I am currently using daily in some facet of my life. By no means is this list exhaustive, but it is a good representation of my current technological and professional landscape.
Want a To Go Version?
Don’t just take my word for it; here are some kind things people have said about me and my work.
I have worked closely with Michael for a decade and continue to marvel at the caliber of instruction he delivers and the results his students produce. Michael is a consummate professional, school leader and innovator.
As my high school Biomedical Sciences teacher, Mr. Burke was a great teacher who always found unique ways to make class more engaging. His innovative and creative style of teaching made explaining difficult concepts easier, and exposed me to a higher level of learning that prepared me for the rigor of college.
I have known Mike Burke as a science teaching colleague for about 10 years now and watched as he has become an outstanding teacher, department chair, and my “go to” source for anything technology related, especially any form of technology that is newer and can be used in the teaching profession.
Mike has become a vital resource for this school using his technology abilities to create and maintain the website as well as countless other school-wide projects over the years.
I have never hesitated to fire off my teaching technology-related questions to Mike ranging from the use of many Google technologies to the Microsoft Office Suite utilizing apps like OneNote, Forms, Excel, and the OneDrive.
Mike Burke’s expertise and desire to share his knowledge has provided the opportunity to not just make our jobs easier but to improve the quality and effectiveness of our teaching through improved technology abilities, which ultimately translates to a better learning situation for the students.
Working with Studio 57 was like working with a long-term trusted business partner. They took the time to immerse themselves in our business and then help us communicate our value proposition in a powerful video message. It is far better than any marketing brochure or static PowerPoint presentation we could have prepared. Studio 57 never missed an appointment, they delivered on time and on budget and were always accessible. As our company evolves and our message needs updating, I look forward to working with them again.
I was beyond happy with the highlight video that Studio 57 did for our wedding. It totally captured every emotion and sentiment of the day. Mike is amazing at what he does, is easy to work with, and will incorporate any particular shots you may want. However, if you aren’t sure, he has that special touch and knows what looks perfect! High-quality work that won’t completely break your bank! I highly recommend Studio 57!
Michael Burke at Studio 57 helped me complete a video project for an anniversary gift for my wife. It was a pleasure to work with Michael through the entire project and I was very pleased with the final product. He was immensely helpful and demonstrated great patience and knowledge. He was easy to get in touch with and went out of his way to be available for questions or changes throughout the entire project. I would highly recommend Studio 57 to anyone interested in completing an audiovisual project of any sort. Top Notch!